The Best Damn Health Insurance Blog. Ever.

Archives March 2009

Grace 4 Nutritious Foods on a Budget

Healthy food does not have to put a dent in your pocketbook.  In fact, you can eat smart and simultaneously save money with these savvy shopping tips. Consider incorporating these four foods that will pack in the nutrition without straining your budget.

Beans and Lentils

These high fiber selections come dry or canned, and they rarely cost more than a few cents a serving.  If you opt for canned beans, make sure they do not have added sodium.  Generally, dry beans are the best choice. 

For the biggest bang for your grocery dollar, use the beans in a soup, adding ...

Grace FDA Prescribes New Cautions about Weight Loss Supplements

Recent reports from the FDA have expanded the list of weight loss supplements that consumers should avoid for safety reasons. This updated list, posted on the FDA website just last week, is the second such expansion of potentially tainted weight loss products. The most current list now includes 72 labels, which can be found in stores, beauty salons and over the Internet.  If you have been getting help via a little pill to meet your weight loss goals, you will want to review this list to make sure the products you are using are still considered safe.

What's Wrong ...

Grace Top 10 Most Useful Government Resource Pages for Health Information

What do you get from the government in return for your tax monies?  Helpful health resources, of course!  Indeed, there are many useful government health resource pages found online that will provide you with information which is both reliable and free. What follows are the top 10 most useful government health resource pages.

10.  U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) (http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usdahome):  Whether you want to keep track of the bird flu's path or what foods are currently deemed “unsafe," the USDA website is an excellent resource.

9.  U.S. National Library of Medicine ...

Grace Companies Contemplate Ways to Shift Healthcare Costs to Workers

In an ever deepening economic trench, U.S. companies are reassessing healthcare benefits for 2010, says Hewitt Associates, a benefits and outsourcing firm located in Lincolnshire, Illinois.

Hewitt recently conducted a benefits survey of around 340 large companies, who employ approximately five million workers.  According to the survey, these companies expect to radically alter their healthcare programs in 2010 because of the economic downturn. In fact two out of three employers are looking for ways to reduce healthcare subsidies, and 4% are thinking about eliminating health insurance benefits altogether.

What the Health Benefit Changes Mean to Your Pocketbook

According to ...

Kurt Jarcik “Spoiled Brat" and or “Big Baby"

Whine – Whine – Whine… It seems as if that's all I do any more.  I don't eat what I want, when I want or as much as I want.  So I cry like a baby. It's a good thing that I'm not on The Biggest Loser. Jillian Michaels would want to kick my butt just for fun.

Food is Fuel

I have said it before, and I am sure I will say it again.  I am rock solid 7 AM until 5 PM Monday thru Friday.  All of the rest of the time is a big struggle ...

Mark Jolley Top 5 Reasons Healthcare in America is Broken

5.  Doctors are rewarded for prescribing drugs.  Big pharmaceutical companies are known to hand out “consulting agreements" worth more than your annual salary to doctors who prescribe their drugs like candy.  And unlike contributions to political candidates, there is no way to track what doctors are considered “top-performers" and receiving the most lavish gifts. This is one of the worst practices I can think of that drives a stake right through the heart of healthcare's credibility.

4.  Big Healthcare, i.e. pharmaceutical companies, hospital networks, insurers and their support industries, spend hundreds of millions each year lobbying Congress to ...

Grace Cancer Nation

Cancer treatment has become more effective than ever. More and more people are living through the frightening process of diagnosis and the long, but ultimately positive process of successful treatment. However, they get to the next phase—survival—and they are unsure of what to do next.

If you or one of your friends or family members has survived the disease, you now join over 12 million people who ask the question, “Now what?"  The Institute of Medicine and the Lance Armstrong Foundation are joining together to help cancer survivors by promoting a plan to give them the tools to ...

Kurt Jarcik Psyche or Psycho?

The earth continues on its normal rotation.  Life in general just keeps moving forward. This is the natural order of things. Yet I find that it is harder to manage my emotions now.  As I restricted my calories and fat consumption I become agitated and aggressive, even moody.

My body is getting the nutrition that it needs, but is my mind rebelling over its lost freedom?  Does the mind fight the body over control? Or better yet, does the subconscious mind fight the conscious mind for control?

In the past I never questioned an impulse to eat.  If a little ...

Grace America's Top 10 Healthcare Reporters

Navigating the endless ocean of health information can be daunting.  Thankfully, there are a handful of excellent journalists who work as lighthouses in monitoring the changes in healthcare. What follows is a list of the best healthcare journalists writing at this time, their investigative styles, and compelling recent features.

10.  Tara Parker-Pope: A regular writer for the New York Times, Parker-Pope translates technical medical research into practical, easy-to-use advice.  A recent blog article, “Slowing Down School Lunch" (http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/20/slowing-down-school-lunch/#more-915), provides an incisive Q&A examination of how the speed in which children ...

Grace “Healthy" Snacks: Not So Healthy?

In the immortal words of Yoda, “You must unlearn what you have learned." This wisdom certainly applies to our consumption of what we consider to be “healthy" snacks. You might be surprised to find that some of the snack choices that are touted as healthy are actually high in calories, and therefore, not so good for your waistline!

Hidden Facts about “Healthy" Snacks

Some of the foods you need to watch out for when you think you're grabbing healthy, low-calorie choices are:

•    Dried Vegetables: Many people reach for dried veggie snacks like Snapea Crisps instead of potato chips, thinking ...

• Page 1 of 2

Daily archives

Previous month

February 2009

Next month

April 2009

Archives