The Best Damn Health Insurance Blog. Ever.

Archives January 2009

Grace A Government Agency Leading Reform?

Have you ever watched a juggler in action and wondered how he managed to keep all the balls in the air without dropping them? You may find yourself wondering the same thing when you consider how Thomas Daschle, President Obama's appointee to Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), will juggle all the responsibilities Obama is asking him to handle during his administration.

Not only is Obama asking Daschle to run the Department of Health and Human Services, but also to push health care legislation through the U.S. Congress. This creates a much bigger job ...

Mark Jolley The Power of a Brand

Growing up, my mom always bought brand names at the grocery store.  Bounty.  Tide.  Parkay.  Kellog's.  She grew up in a world that had few brands, but with parents - and a mother in particular - who tried to do the best they could for their kids.

So when my mom became an adult, married my dad and had three kids, she modeled her parent's behavior and tried to do the best she could for her kids.  That included, among other things, buying the foods and products she thought were best that our family could afford.

Of course, being the ...

Grace Small Steps in Daily Nutrition...

...Can Make A Big Difference in Long-Term Health

“Lose Weight by Cutting Carbs!"

“Drop Ten Pounds in Two Days!"

“Burn the Fat on the Miracle Chocolate Diet!"

Unfortunately, too many Americans are misled by the temptation of transforming from a size 12 to a 2 overnight.  No matter how often authorities on health and obesity remind us that there is no such thing as a miracle cure for excess weight, fad diets still find their fervent followers.

However, when it comes to nutrition and your personal health, these truths remain: Diets don't work, and the only way to preserve ...

Grace FDA Puts the Kibosh on Peanut Butter

Due to the recent bacterial outbreak, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has urged Americans to postpone eating foods that contain peanut butter or peanut butter paste. Specifically, the FDA has said that we should avoid cookies, crackers, cereals, candies and ice creams containing peanut butter ingredients.

Peanut Butter Cookie Mice
In addition, the Kellogg Company has pulled 16 of its products from shelves in light of the fact that at least six deaths and hundreds of sicknesses in 43 states have resulted from an outbreak of salmonella poisoning linked to peanut butter products. At this juncture, the products we know about were manufactured ...

Kurt Jarcik The Goal Part 1

The Present
Weight     248        Blood Pressure    168 over 108

The Big Goal
Weight    200        Blood Pressure    130 over 80

The Weekly Goal
Lose 2 pounds and 2 points per week.

The Plan

Freak out and run around like a crazy person.

Pull it together, and regain composure.

I will eat five or six small meals per day, make out a meal plan for the day and prepare the whole day of meals the night before. Focus on whole grain breads, and fresh fruit and vegetables.  Try to eat red meat only once per week.  Drink water throughout the day; try ...

Kurt Jarcik Snacking – Picking – Grazing

Snacking

I find myself eating subconsciously. I will have eaten something without even realizing it. Have you ever got up during a commercial, grabbed something...it could be anything...chips, cookies, crackers, or maybe ice cream.  Something salty.  Or something sweet.  Now that you have eaten it, you say to yourself, "WOW I just eat that whole bag or carton of that, and I was not even hungry."  So now you feel like shit because you have zero self-control.

Picking
So you are in the bedroom, on your way to the garage, and you make a quick detour by the ...

Kurt Jarcik Obesity and High Blood Pressure

So I am sitting here thinking about my weight and blood pressure.  Being over weight or obese is bad on so many levels.

1.    I feel bad emotionally about being fat. No one likes to be the fat guy.  You end up making self -deprecating jokes. Trying to always be the funny guy, not the fat guy.
2.     I feel bad physically. It is hard work to be fat.  You carry 50, 75 or even 100 extra pounds every day, day after day. It starts to take a toll on your body. My back hurts, my feet and knees hurt ...

Kurt Jarcik Negative Side of Positive

Food is Fuel!

Food is not:

• Reward

• Celebration

So it has been two days, I am feeling 75% better, and to top it off I had a good day.  As a reward I ate a whole chicken cooked in red sauce with polenta and a half a loaf of french bread with butter.

As I laid on the couch uncomfortable because I just over ate I thought to myself, why? Why would I eat until I make myself sick? Why? I could not come up with any good answers. Yes it tasted great. Yes I really like to eat. Yes ...

Kurt Jarcik Food is Fuel

Hi, I am Kurt Jarcik, Co-Founder of InsureMonkey.

I would like to introduce you to my blog Fuel. In this blog I will talk with you about my personal struggles with food and health. Getting healthy, staying healthy, losing focus, getting lazy, feeling guilty, and falling back into a cycle of madness over and over again.

I am 42 years old, 5'7" 248 pounds, 40 inch waste, and a 56 inch jacket.  In the last 20 years I have lost 30 pounds or more on four different occasions. Only to lose focus, and slowly over the course of 3 ...

Daily archives

Next month

February 2009

Archives